storage is an information technology (IT) architecture in which data
is processed at the storage device level to reduce the amount of data that
has to move between the storage plane and the compute plane. The lack of
movement facilitates real-time data analysis and improves performance by
reducing input/output bottlenecks.
In many respects, a computational storage device may look just like every other solid state drive (SSD). Some products have a large number of NAND flash memory devices that actually store the data, a controller that manages writing the data to the flash devices and random access memory (RAM) to provide a read/write buffer. What is unique about computational storage devices is the inclusion of one or more multi-core processors. These processors can be used to perform many functions, from indexing data as it enters the storage device to searching the contents for specific entries to providing support for sophisticated artificial intelligence (AI) programs.
Computational storage products and services are starting to appear on the market and the ability to integrate them is still in the early stages of development. However, with the growing need to store and analyze data in real-time, the market is expected to grow very quickly. As of this writing, computational storage can be implemented by using one of two key products currently being defined by the Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA) Computational Storage Technical Working Group (TWG):
Why computational storage is important
Traditionally, there has always been a mismatch between storage capacity and the amount of memory that the central processing unit (CPU) uses to analyze data. This mismatch requires that all stored data be moved in phases from one location to another for analysis, which in turn prevents data analysis from being real-time. Using these products, the host platform has the ability to deliver application performance and results from the storage system without requiring all data to be exported from the storage devices into memory for analysis.
Computational Storage is important in modern architectures today due to the continued growth of the raw data being collected from sensors and actuators in the Internet of Things (IoT). Traditionally, there has always been a mismatch of storage capacity (TB of storage data) and the amount of memory (GB of DRAM) that the CPU used to analyze data. This mismatch requires that all stored data be moved from one location of large size in products like SSDs to a smaller location in memory or DRAM in phases. Due to this phased approach, the time required to complete analysis of data was no longer real-time. By providing compute services at the storage device level, the analysis of the raw data can be completed in place and the amount of data moved to memory is mitigated into a manageable and easy to process sub-set of the data.
The ability to scale storage without having to be concerned about latency is an important consideration for hyperscale computing data centers that are trying to manage all the stored data from companies using public cloud services, to the dedicated data centers for social media platforms storing images and updates, as well as data centers that are managing media and entertainment needs for data streaming. Additional use cases for computational storage include edge computing or Industrial IoT environments in which too much latency can be literally cause an accident, and the need to conserve space and power are even more important.
April is the official month for:
- From thebalancecareers.com
The following events, industries, causes and emotions (yes, emotions) are observed all month long in April unless otherwise indicated. Even cannabis (fast becoming legalized), Florida tomatoes, celery, and soft pretzels are honored, beginning April 1 through April 30—every year.
- African-American Women's Fitness Month
- Alcohol Awareness Month
- Amateur Radio Month
- American Cancer Society Month
- Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month
- Black Women's History Month
- Bowel Cancer Awareness Month
- Celebrate Diversity Month
- Community Service Month
- Confederate History Month
- Distracted Driving Awareness Month
- Financial Literacy Month
- Fresh Florida Tomato Month
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome Awareness Month
- Jewish-American Heritage Month
- Keep America Beautiful Month
- Lawn and Garden Month
- Mathematics Awareness Month
- Month of the Military Child
- National Autism Awareness Month
- National Better Hearing and Speech Month
- National Canine Fitness Month
- National Cannabis Awareness Month
- National Car Care Awareness Month
- National Child Abuse Awareness Month
- National Couple Appreciation Month
- National Deaf History Month (March 13 to April 15)
- National Decorating Month
- National Donate Life Awareness Month
- National Fair Housing Month
- National Food Month
- National Fresh Celery Month
- National Garden Month
- National Humor Month
- National Internship Awareness Month
- National Inventor's Month
- National Jazz Appreciation Month
- National Landscape Architecture Month
- National Medical Laboratory Professionals Week (last full week in April)
- National Mental Health Month
- National Month of Hope
- National Multiple Birth Awareness Month
- National Occupational Therapy Month
- National Older Americans Month
- National Parkinson's Awareness Month
- National Pecan Month
- National Poetry Month
- National Safe Digging Month
- National Siblings Day (April 10)
- National Soft Pretzel Month
- National Soy Foods Month
- National STDs Education and Awareness Month
- National Straw Hat Month
- National Volunteer Month
- National Welding Month
- Occupational Therapy Month
- Pets are Wonderful Month
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Month
- Records and Information Management Month
- Scottish-American Heritage Month
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- Stress Awareness Month
- Thai Heritage Month
- Women's Health Care Month
International and One-Day Observances
Because you may be in the business of working with internationals, we can not forget the participation of other countries. Here are a few international honorees, as well as some causes that are observed globally:
- April is International Guitar Month, recognized in several countries.
- Ontario, Canada recognizes April as Sikh Heritage Month.
- April is National Pet Month in the United Kingdom, although the U.S. waits until May to honor its non-human family members.
- International Pillow Fight Day is observed on April 6 in 2019.
- World Autism Awareness Day also falls on April 2 in 2019.
- World Health Day is April 7, in 2019.
|Grammatical Terms-This section is for grammar Links|
Ethopoeia: The Art of Rhetorical Impersonation