National Cyber Awareness System:
12/03/2015 06:40 PM EST
Original release date: December 03, 2015
Systems AffectedMicrosoft Windows
OverviewDorkbot is a botnet used to steal online payment, participate in distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks, and deliver other types of malware to victims’ computers. According to Microsoft, the family of malware used in this botnet “has infected more than one million personal computers in over 190 countries over the course of the past year.” The United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS), in collaboration with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Microsoft, is releasing this Technical Alert to provide further information about Dorkbot.
DescriptionDorkbot-infected systems are used by cyber criminals to steal sensitive information (such as user account credentials), launch denial-of-service (DoS) attacks, disable security protection, and distribute several malware variants to victims’ computers. Dorkbot is commonly spread via malicious links sent through social networks instant message programs or through infected USB devices.
In addition, Dorkbot’s backdoor functionality allows a remote attacker to exploit infected system. According to Microsoft’s analysis, a remote attacker may be able to:
- Download and run a file from a specified URL;
- Collect logon information and passwords through form grabbing, FTP, POP3, or Internet Explorer and Firefox cached login details; or
- Block or redirect certain domains and websites (e.g., security sites).
ImpactA system infected with Dorkbot may be used to send spam, participate in DDoS attacks, or harvest users' credentials for online services, including banking services.
SolutionUsers are advised to take the following actions to remediate Dorkbot infections:
- Use and maintain anti-virus software – Anti-virus software recognizes and protects your computer against most known viruses. Even though Dorkbot is designed to evade detection, security companies are continuously updating their software to counter these advanced threats. Therefore, it is important to keep your anti-virus software up-to-date. If you suspect you may be a victim of Dorkbot, update your anti-virus software definitions and run a full-system scan. (See Understanding Anti-Virus Software for more information.)
- Change your passwords – Your original passwords may have been compromised during the infection, so you should change them. (See Choosing and Protecting Passwords for more information.)
- Keep your operating system and application software up-to-date – Install software patches so that attackers cannot take advantage of known problems or vulnerabilities. You should enable automatic updates of the operating system if this option is available. (See Understanding Patches for more information.)
- Use anti-malware tools – Using a legitimate program that identifies and removes malware can help eliminate an infection. Users can consider employing a remediation tool (see example below) to help remove Dorkbot from their systems.
- Disable Autorun – Dorkbot tries to use the Windows Autorun function to propagate via removable drives (e.g., USB flash drive). You can disable Autorun to stop the threat from spreading.
The above example does not constitute an exhaustive list. The U.S. Government does not endorse or support any particular product or vendor.
- Microsoft Malware Protection Center – Worm: Win32/Dorkbot
- Microsoft Malware Protection Center – Microsoft assists law enforcement to help disrupt Dorkbot botnets
- December 3, 2015: Initial Publication
Special note - For the best Darkbot product, please contact email@example.com
For a great email parody, view the following link:
Special Bulletin - My just released book,
is now on sales at Amazon.comGreat Reasons for Purchasing Netiquette IQ
· Get more email opens. Improve 100% or more.
· Receive more responses, interviews, appointments, prospects and sales.
· Be better understood.
· Eliminate indecision.
· Avoid being spammed 100% or more.
· Have recipient finish reading your email content.
· Save time by reducing questions.
· Increase your level of clarity.
· Improve you time management with your email.
· Have quick access to a wealth of relevant email information.
Enjoy most of what you need for email in a single book.
=================================**Important note** - contact our company for very powerful solutions for IP
management (IPv4 and IPv6, security, firewall and APT solutions:
Another Special Announcement - Tune in to my upcoming radio interview, Sunday, December 6th at 8 a.m. on Rider University's station, www.1077thebronc.com I will be discussing my recent book, above on "Your Career Is Calling", hosted by Wanda Ellett.In addition to this blog, Netiquette IQ has a website with great assets which are being added to on a regular basis. I have authored the premiere book on Netiquette, “Netiquette IQ - A Comprehensive Guide to Improve, Enhance and Add Power to Your Email". My new book, “You’re Hired! Super Charge Your Email Skills in 60 Minutes. . . And Get That Job!” has just been published and will be followed by a trilogy of books on Netiquette for young people. You can view my profile, reviews of the book and content excerpts at:
In addition to this blog, I maintain a radio show on BlogtalkRadio online newsletter via paper.li.I have established Netiquette discussion groups with Linkedin and Yahooa member of the International Business Etiquette and Protocol Group and Minding Manners among others. I regularly consult for the Gerson Lehrman Group, a worldwide network of subject matter experts and I have been contributing to the blogs Everything Email and emailmonday . My work has appeared in numerous publications and I have presented to groups such as The Breakfast Club of NJ and PSG of Mercer County, NJ.
I am the president of Tabula Rosa Systems, a “best of breed” reseller of products for communications, email, network management software, security products and professional services. Also, I am the president of Netiquette IQ. We are currently developing an email IQ rating system, Netiquette IQ, which promotes the fundamentals outlined in my book.
Over the past twenty-five years, I have enjoyed a dynamic and successful career and have attained an extensive background in IT and electronic communications by selling and marketing within the information technology marketplace.Anyone who would like to review the book and have it posted on my blog or website, please contact me firstname.lastname@example.org.