As Albert Einstein is attributed to have said, Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Don’t Send the Same Email the Second and Third Times
An initial email is best written in a conservative style without any Netiquette errors. If this approach does not achieve results, then a second or third message with some moderate adjustments is certainly in order.
During the first two to eight seconds of looking at an email, a reader decides if he or she has an interest in reading further. People initially look at/for the following:
1. Subject line
2. Page layout
4. Salutation (when quickly scanning the email)
5. Qualifications (when quickly scanning the email)
6. Signature (when quickly scanning the email)
7. Viewing pane of the first sentence or two of the message (if available)
Let’s assume you’ve passed the first phase and want to know what comes next. In the following twenty to fifty-five seconds, the recruiter/hiring manager looks for the following:
1. Special qualifications
6. Whether you meet/exceed qualifications
7. Weaknesses of any kind
8. Possible contradictions in content
You passed again? You are now in the elite percentage of job applicants applying by email. Your attachment (résumé or CV) is opened. Going by the consistent assumption that your email will reach this stage, consider whether your content does the following:
1. Does your content match your email description? Make sure your résumé or CV delivers accurate information.
2. Do you include an easy means to contact you electronically or by phone?
3. Are your messages or calls forwarded to an alternate means of contact, if he or she is unavailable? This is strongly desirable—there may be a one-time opportunity where a recruiter or hiring manager is looking to immediately fill a position or is impressed with your qualifications.
Using the following matrix, you’ll know when it is time to follow up. Once you make contact and the correspondence has begun, make sure you continue to use good Netiquette! If interviews are scheduled, send any emails that follow using all of the best Netiquette principles.
Special Bulletin - My just released book, "You're Hired. Super Charge Your Email Skills in 60 Minutes! (And Get That Job...) is now on sales at Amazon.com================================================
**Important note** - contact our company for very powerful solutions for IP management (IPv4 and IPv6, security, firewall and APT solutions:
In addition to this blog, Netiquette IQ has a website with great assets which are being added to on a regular basis. I have authored the premiere book on Netiquette, “Netiquette IQ - A Comprehensive Guide to Improve, Enhance and Add Power to Your Email". My new book, “You’re Hired! Super Charge Your Email Skills in 60 Minutes. . . And Get That Job!” will be published soon follow by a trilogy of books on Netiquette for young people. You can view my profile, reviews of the book and content excerpts at:
If you would like to listen to experts in all aspects of Netiquette and communication, try my radio show on BlogtalkRadio Additionally, I provide content for an online newsletter via paper.li. I have also established Netiquette discussion groups with Linkedin and Yahoo. I am also a member of the International Business Etiquette and Protocol Group and Minding Manners among others. Further, I regularly consult for the Gerson Lehrman Group, a worldwide network of subject matter experts and have been a contributor to numerous blogs and publications.
Lastly, I am the founder and president of Tabula Rosa Systems, a company that provides “best of breed” products for network, security and system management and services. Tabula Rosa has a new blog and Twitter site which offers great IT product information for virtually anyone.